yourinsomnia

Mind Fuck - Manna Francis Sex at Dawn: How We Mate, Why We Stray & What It Means for Modern Relationships - Christopher Ryan, Cacilda Jethá Sabriel  - Garth Nix

Wednesday Reading

What did you recently finish reading?

I haven't been reading books lately because apparently "no reading challenge = yay! I don't have to read books". But in my defense, I've been reading a ton of fanfiction instead?

The last "real" book though was Last Exit to Brooklyn by Hubert Selby. It's a very memorable book; the kind after which you don't really want to submerge in any other writing. Days after finishing it, I still think about a particular scene. It is a very graphic scene, or at least the subject matter of it is, but the language is incredible; a mixture of stream-of-consciousness (in Brooklyn vernacular no less), poetry, grittiness, eroticism and pathos. The best comparison would be William S. Burroughs, a fellow Beat Generation writer, although Selby's writing is not quite as psychedelic.

What are you currently reading?

Mind Fuck (The Administration #1) by Francis Manna. This book, as the title aptly suggests, all about mind fucking. Val Toreth fucks mind for a living as a Para Investigator & Interrogator working for the Administration, and then he meets Keir Warrick, a founder of a company involved in one of Toreth's investigations and together they fuck each others minds and then some. The dynamics between Toreth and Warrick are beyond hot; sub/dom at its best, where both parties who are control freaks relish the thrill of being dominated just as much as they love dominating. The world-building in this book is incredible too. I am genuinely fascinated by all the sci-fi elements (the mindfuck machine, virtual reality), the politics (corporations & the Administration power plays) and the ongoing investigation. *sigh* Where have you been all my life, book?

I am also reading Sex at Dawn, a non-fiction book on sexuality. I have this curse with non-fiction books, where even if I like them, I somehow end up dropping them half-way through. Hopefully this book won't meet the same dismal fate.

What do you think you'll read next?

I am not very far into either book so I imagine that will keep me occupied. I will probably do a second book in The Administration series soon after. If by some chance I am not driven to continue on with the series, I will probably start onSabriel. I got the hardcover on sale a couple of weeks ago and it's been staring pitifully at me from the bookshelf ever since.